Monday, July 04, 2005

same day each year

It is like a grill glowing in the distance, and the smell of meat frying in the air. It is the night sky lit up by burning chemicals, and Stars and Stripes playing every other time separated by God Bless America. It is a blanket laid out on the grass, and the sticky hands of lemonade. It is one of the days of year that people use as an excuse. It is a long weekend and a chance to get away. I am not sure what the world thinks of it, but to America it is one day of the year that is set aside. The 4th of July, Independence Day. It is something that I have never been able to comprehend. I think that I can think of the most traditions for this day over any others. It seems to be the one holiday that any American will use as an excuse to drink. I know that is should be something. I suppose the fireworks look like gun shots and bombs. The BBQ has become a celebration meal. The time of the year is beautiful. Plus the 4th of July sounds so much better then like the 4th of August. It works. Whatever it is.